William Loveland College started as the College of Advanced Traffic and Academy of Advanced Traffic, which were founded in the United States in 1923 with the mission of bringing education to the emerging field of traffic management with a special focus on education designed to ensure an understanding of the ICC’s Rules of Practice. The College of Advanced Traffic had campuses in Illinois, Colorado, and Missouri, the Academy of Advanced Traffic had campuses in Pennsylvania and New York. All campus locations were administered from the main headquarters in Illinois and all locations used the same published course materials, they are collectively referred to here as the ”College”.
The United States government formed the Interstate Commerce Commission (ICC) in 1887 to ensure fair rates, to eliminate rate discrimination, and to regulate other aspects of common carriers with a primary focus on rail transportation and carriers. The ICC’s powers expanded through the turn of the century and into the 1920’s. One standard set by the ICC was the “Rules of Practice” that companies and individuals were legally bound to follow.
On May 1, 1929, the ICC announced the formation of a qualifying BAR examination in addition to its Rules of Practice, requiring examination and registration of all regular practitioners. In later years this requirement included at least two years of formal law school education. Further, in 1935 the US passed the Motor Carrier Act, which amended the 1887 Interstate Commerce Act to additionally regulate bus lines and trucking as common carriers. With this regulation, the College established itself as a prominent education source and law school graduating students qualified to sit for and pass the ICC BAR, which now covered all major forms of transportation.
The College grew to be the preeminent source for ICC BAR preparation and attracted students from all over the country, including many practicing attorneys who also wanted to practice in the transportation markets. ICC Practitioners (as they became known), were licensed to practice Interstate Commerce Law, including the ability to be recognized for arguing cases in transportation legal matters up to and including the United States Supreme Court. This made the College’s education very valuable and unique, as several graduates did argue Interstate Commerce Law cases at the highest level of the courts.
The College was prominent for many years and in 1951 began publication of the legal guide “Transportation and Traffic Management”, which became a staple publication found in nearly all law offices in the country of the time, which was in publication until 1976, growing to 1,700 pages in four volumes, and with a total of 14 editions published. Each of these volumes represented a semester of study in one of the two degree programs offered by the College: Degree in Transportation Management and the Degree in Transportation Law. These were each two year degrees equivalent in today’s terms to an Associate of the Arts (A.A.) degree, however at the time they also served as first professional degrees allowing entry into the ICC Practitioner field through the ICC BAR examination.
The College prospered in this environment for over 50 years.
The US Congress passed various deregulation measures starting in the 1970s which began reducing ICC authority. This included the Railroad Revitalization and Regulatory Reform Act of 1976 ("4R Act") and the Motor Carrier Act of 1980. Full deregulation finally came on October 14, 1980, when President Jimmy Carter signed into law the Staggers Rail Act (named for Democratic Congressman Harley Orrin Staggers of West Virginia). This ended the ICC BAR requirement.
The College continued to provide education and degrees concerning transportation, however the newly deregulated markets required curriculum focused on transportation efficiencies and supply chain management designed to take advantage of new market opportunities. In 1987 the main offices of the College were moved to New Jersey and the name was changed to the Institute of Logistical Management (ILM). The name change brought a formal change to the institute’s mission to reflect the new emerging market. The new mission brought a focus on providing education to students in the logistical and supply chain markets, a natural shift given the deep levels of expertise and knowledge that surrounded the College and its graduates for over 60 years.
In 1996 the school transitioned to a distance based education model to leverage emerging technological opportunities in emerging education markets. In 2001 ILM received national accreditation from the Distance Education & Training Council (DETC) a US Department of Education approved accreditor and a member of the Council on Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). Some 2,500 companies, government agencies, railroads, motor carriers and freight forwarders have hired many of the near 100,000 alumni of the school over our 90 year history.
In 2013 ILM added a location in Loveland Colorado, close to the training center used by the College in the 1960’s. In 2014 ILM changed its name to William Loveland College to reflect our strong connection to the local community and deep history within Colorado. ILM lives on as a division of the college. On September 14, 2014 operations were consolidated to the Loveland Colorado location.